Sunday, August 19, 2012

Starting with the parts


It was almost twelve months between my first contact with the seller and my decision to obtain the parts. It was then another three months before they actually arrived. Until they arrived and I had a chance to review the parts I wouldn't know whether I had a viable project or a box of scrap metal.

When the parts finally arrived I did a quick inventory and review. I had:
  1. a 1951 Heinkel 400cc two-stroke engine;
  2. a dynastart;
  3. 2 x condensors;
  4. 2 x spark plugs;
  5. a complete gearbox;
  6. a complete clutch basket with all discs;
  7. a radiator;
  8. a petrol tank;
  9. a steering wheel;
  10. an articulated worm steering gear;
  11. a complete exhaust;
  12. a chain drive and parts of the triple chain;
  13. a front mudguard, and;
  14. an assortment of miscellaneous parts.

I was immediately struck by the excellent condition of the parts. The gearbox was still filled with oil and the lever was fully articulated.

The engine is surprisingly good condition. It still moves freely. Spark plugs, condensors and high tension cables will need to be replaced. The dynastart still needs to be investigated.

I had always wondered how the Tempo was steered. It works off an articulated worm steering mechanism that either pushes or pulls the front wheel in the appropriate direction. The steering mechanism works. Traces of paint on the steering column reveal that the original vehicle was painted dark green.

The Hans Windhoff A-G built radiator is in good condition and does not leak. It is missing the hoses and radiator cap.

The petrol tank looks a little worse for wear as it looks badly rusted. Nevertheless, this is mainly surface rust and is easily brushed off. I have since filled the tank with Rust-off rust remover treatment for motorcycle petrol tanks. I haven't checked the results yet.

Pleasingly, the tank is water-tight. It is missing the petrol cap and tap.

This is the chain drive sprocket. I don't yet know if this is the upper or lower sprocket. It looked solid, if somewhat grubby.

Ten minutes later with a can of degreaser and a wire brush and it's almost back to new.

It may not be much, but it's a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment